This is my healthy version of chicken bolognese pasta which I usually eat for lunch. Since my aim is to lose weight (i.e. fat) I am practising portion control of healthy meal plate containing 1/4 of carbs, 1/4 of protein and 1/2 of vegetables. For lunch, I had set 500 kcal as my intake.
For carbs, I chose Rigatoni. I love it because the size is big. For other types of pasta the size is little bit smaller. it gives a signal to my brain that I am eating a lot of food and I should be full. a
I use lean chicken breast in this recipe. You can also buy chicken keel which is cheaper in Malaysia, remove its skin, de-bone and trim any visible fat. Fill free to replace the chicken with other types of protein such as tuna.
Since I am on my way to lose fat, I usually skip the usage of saturated & trans fat such as butter and vegetable oil thus I have adjusted my cooking method accordingly. Hence, I usually skipping the sautéeing, stir-frying and deep-frying process altogether and replace it with other method that is more friendly to my weight loss goal. I would add the good fat (polyunsaturated fatty acids and monounsaturated fats) such as extra virgin olive if there’s still balance left in my calories quota.
As for the vegetables part, tomato and basil would do. However, since I don’t have fresh basil (it is quite pricey), thus I substitute it with dried basil. Italian herbs would do too. When using fresh herbs add it close to the end of cooking as the fresh herbs tend to lose its flavour quickly compared to dried herbs. Lastly, I also added mushroom and baby spinach just to add more colors and taste to the dish.
Rigatoni with Chicken Bolognese
- 2 cup Rigatoni or any types of pasta
- 400 g Chicken Breast minced or sliced
- 800 g Tomato canned or boiled & peeled
- 1 small Onion sliced thinly
- 2 cloves Garlic minced
- 1 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 cup Fresh Basil (or 3 tbsp of dried basil)
- 1 cup Baby Spinach optional
- 1 cup Oyster Mushroom shredded, optional
- Heat a pot with water and cook the Rigatoni for 15 minute until al dente. Follow the packet instruction on the cooking time as different type of pasta requires a different amount of time.
- Crush the peeled tomato in a another pot and turn on a medium heat. Add in the onion, garlic and dried herbs. Close the lid and simmer for 1 hour. Gradually lower the heat as the sauce gets thicker. Occasionally stir the sauce.
- Once the sauce is thick, add the chicken & fresh basil and cook for another 5 minute. Add mushroom and turn off the heat after 1 minute. For this recipe, I season with 1 tsp of salt and 1 tbsp sugar.
- Serve on a plate and sprinkle fresh basil or baby spinach
|Amount Per Serving|
|% Daily Value *|
|Total Fat 10 g||15 %|
|Saturated Fat 2 g||9 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 6 g|
|Polyunsaturated Fat 2 g|
|Trans Fat 0 g|
|Cholesterol 116 mg||39 %|
|Sodium 788 mg||33 %|
|Potassium 762 mg||22 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 44 g||15 %|
|Dietary Fiber 6 g||24 %|
|Sugars 15 g|
|Protein 70 g||141 %|
|Vitamin A||175 %|
|Vitamin C||148 %|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|