Yaki Udon is a fried udon noodle dish. This is my favourite way of eating udon as it consist of a good balance of carbohydrate, protein and vegetables. The portion for this recipe is based on healthy meal plate of 25% carb, 25% protein and 50% vegetables & fruits. When choosing udon noodle, look for ones that contain lesser saturated fat and lower calories.
Since I am on a fat loss mission, I skip the usage the oil during sauteing the garlic and onion. In order to cook without oil and to prevent the food from sticking to the pan, I use a non-stick marble stone wok/frying pan. The pan regulates the heat better and I find it easier to cook without oil.
Feel free to add in healthy oil during the sautéeing. If you are watching your calories, be cautious that 1 tbsp of oil has 120 cal. So be moderate, I would suggest using up to 2 tbsp to stay under 500 cal per serving.
- 2 pack Udon (200g)
- 4 cloves Garlic minced
- 0.5 bulb Onion sliced
- 600 g Chicken Breast sliced
- 4 Buk Choy cut into 4 section
- 1 cup Mushroom (shitake, bunashimeji or any type)
- 0.25 cup Red Chilli or Red Bell Pepper sliced
- 4 tbsp Light Soy Sauce
- 1 tbsp Black Pepper freshly ground
- 1 tbsp Bonito Flake optional
- 0.5 cup Water
- Cook the udon in a pot of boiling water for 2 minutes until it is loosen. Drain the udon. Wash to remove the starch and set aside.
- Marinade the sliced chicken breast with light soy sauce for 5 minutes.
- Minced the garlic. Slice the onion. Wash and cut the buk choy into four. Trim the thick white base of the buk choy. Slice the chilli/bell pepper. Slice the carrot into julienne strips. If you are using bunashimeji or enoki muhsroom, remove the roots and split the mushrooms into individual stem. If you are using shitake mushroom or other types of mushroom, slice it into smaller pieces.
- In a wok, in medium heat, sauté the garlic and onion until it is slightly brown or caramelized.
- Add in the marinated chicken. Let the chicken sear for 30 second then add in water. Flip the chicken breast after 2 minutes.
- Add in all the vegetables into the other half side of the wok and cook for another 2-3 minute until both chicken and the vegetables are cooked. Then add in udon and mix all ingredients thoroughly. Add freshly ground black pepper, and light soy sauce salt if needed.
- Serve with with bonito flakes
|Amount Per Serving|
|% Daily Value *|
|Total Fat 5 g||8 %|
|Saturated Fat 1 g||5 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 0 g|
|Polyunsaturated Fat 0 g|
|Trans Fat 0 g|
|Cholesterol 41 mg||14 %|
|Sodium 4062 mg||169 %|
|Potassium 345 mg||10 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 106 g||35 %|
|Dietary Fiber 3 g||11 %|
|Sugars 4 g|
|Protein 53 g||105 %|
|Vitamin A||111 %|
|Vitamin C||23 %|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|